This is because
- they're easy to transport around
- they don't take that long to make
- they make a good gift for the person who has everything
- you can try out a new technique without committing to a large project
- I was nervous about using DPNs
- of the sense of achievement in facing your fears
So my not so secret project is to knit socks for some of the significant people in my life. I'll post a picture once they've been gifted. And you can wait with bated breath to see if there's one on the way for you :)
Here's a picture of the first pair of socks that I ever knitted. I've ravelled them here. I'm really very happy with them.
I currently have four pairs on the go which I think is a little excessive. I'm looking forward to completing some of them soon.